ROOTS is a community-engaged 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to promoting food security. We make healthy food accessible and affordable to our low-income neighbors. We work with Connecticut farmers, food artisans and healthy food advocates. We learn from, work with, and teach with people of all ages. ROOTS provides education programs for elementary and high school students on food justice, sustainable farming, and empowered eating practices.
Join the Gaffney Elementary School Garden Club!
Grow, eat and learn about food using our school greenhouse and garden!
Before School (Grades 2 & 3) 7:30am Drop Off - Every Monday - Thursday ($30/month)
After School (Grades 4 & 5) 6pm Pick Up -Every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday *Homework help and snack is provided for the after school session* ($40/month)
*Starts September 18th *Transportation is not provided*
To register, please pick up and return forms to the Gaffney Main Office Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Constructed four school gardens in New Britain.
- Provided After-School programs to over 50 elementary school students since 2015.
- Trained 18 high school students through Summer Farm Apprenticeships.
- Doubled $17,000 in WIC/SNAP benefits for low-income shoppers at Urban Oaks Organic Farm.
- Taught a Sustainability Summer School Program for 30 children.
- Operated a Mobile Market Assistance Program in 2015 to reach customers with low access to healthy food.
- Seen 500 K-12 grade students through farm-based educational field trips.
- Partnered with local organizations on food justice issues.